North Students Need to Learn How to Drive

Mallory Graybeal and Bria Dawson

I sit in the dreaded Olathe North parking lot at 3:05, anticipating the next move of the car in front of me. I lift my foot off the brake and inch forward, hoping they will let me through to join the exit line. The driver looks over to me; they can see me trying to fit in, but they have no sympathy. I watch in horror as the car cuts me off, leaving me to repeat this cycle with every other car in the line. 

The people driving and exiting the Olathe North parking lot include staff, students, and parents picking up their students. This causes high traffic and confusing right of way situations, which may be especially stressful for new drivers. New drivers are potentially unaware of how frustrating their behavior may be to more experienced drivers. It is important that they learn how to drive in a parking lot, specifically a busy one, but that is extremely hard unless seasoned drivers are able to educate them. 

I believe that some of these parking lot issues could be solved within the school day. Every Thursday, lessons are taught in advisory classes about various topics, such as mental health, bullying, and various school-related activities. Utilizing one of these times to create an informative video on how to appropriately exit the parking lot could help out everyone afterschool is over. Several techniques, such as the ‘zipper method,’ letting every other car into the main exit line instead of just waiting until someone feels like letting another car in, may be unknown to newer drivers. It would be best for everyone in the parking lot if students were instructed on how to appropriately use the parking lot. 

Trying to leave the school parking lot is unnecessarily long and stressful. People are not assertive enough when it comes to trying to leave the lot. The zipper rule is an unspoken rule (although it should be mentioned much more). Not only are students not aware of the regulations of the zipper rule, they do not have any authority when it comes to forcing their way through the mess of the parking lot. People will sit and let several cars go by and not try to get into the parking lot. The Olathe North parking lot is an unnecessary stress in students’ and teachers’ lives.