The Chronicle

The Impossible Burger Taste Test

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Impossible Burger Taste Test

Want to go vegan but can’t imagine giving up meat? Thanks to new technology, you can experience the juicy satisfaction of eating a burger without putting any animals in danger. There are many non-meat meat alternatives on the market from black beans burgers, experimental lab grown meat, and the Impossible Burger. According to their website, “Impossible Burger production uses a small fraction of the land and water resources and emits vastly fewer greenhouse gas emissions.”The USGS states that making one 1/4 pounder hamburger patty requires 150 gallons of water. In comparison, the Impossible Burger uses 75 percent less water than a “real” burger, as reported by Eat This, Not That! According to Impossible Foods, “the Impossible Burger is made mostly of water and plant proteins with heme.” They explain that “heme is what makes meat taste like meat.” However, the Impossible Burg- er is completely vegan, so the heme they use is a plant-based soy leghemoglobin.

However, PETA, a popular vegan advocacy organization, does not believe the Impossible Burger is vegan. Despite not containing any animal products, this product may be considered unethical by some vegans. “That’s right, Impossible Foods, the maker of the Impossible Burger, decided voluntarily to test one of its burger ingredients–soy leghemoglobin–by feeding it to a total of 188 rats,” PETA claims.They also claim that the rats were killed and cut open after the experiment. Many vegans are against animal testing on cosmetics, cleaning chemicals, and other products, so the Impossible Burger is not on every vegan’s nice list. Despite this complication, making the Impossible Burger part of the mainstream may be a step in the right direction to reduce the meat consumption of the average American.

We decided to put the Impossible Burger to the test and see if meat eaters could tell the difference between a traditional hamburger and the Impossible Burger without knowing which was which.

The Results

In general, the test subjects could tell a difference between the Impossible Burger and a traditional ground beef hamburger. The newspaper staff members were not fooled by the thin and less greasy Impossible Burgers and could tell a distinct dif-ference between the two. Olathe North teachers and students were also asked to partake in the experiment, and everyone but history teacher Stuart Stern was able to figure out which burger was vegan and which burger was not. Some of the subjects actually preferred the Impossible Burger when compared to the ground beef burger.

The Conclusion

The vegan lifestyle may not be as difficult as some people believe. With meat alternatives like the Impossible Burgers, meatless Mondays could become a reality for many families who still enjoy chomping down on a juicy burger. The Impossible Burger can be found at manyrestaurants across the Kansas City metro areasuch as Wahlburgers, Unforked, and more.

About the Writers
Miles Arambula, Staff Editor

Number of years on the paper: This is Mile's second year on the paper

Grade Level: 12th grade, Senior

Favorite part of Newspaper: "I like seeing...

Elizabeth Tuckness, Staff Writer

Number of years on the paper: This is Elizabeth's first year on the paper

Grade Level: 10th grade, Sophomore

Favorite part of Newspaper: "I like...