Administrative Perspective on Full Time Scheduling

Vin Parazin, Staff Writer

With Olathe North returning back to school full time, The Chronicle decided to ask staff and students about how they felt about the new changes. Here are their responses.

Johnathan Lynk, Assistant Administrator

Q. When did you find out that the school was going back full-time? 

A. We found out a couple of weeks before the community found out. These big decisions go in front of the board. The board makes that decision, and then we get a heads up, and get planning.” 

Q. What are some things you think that students could do to improve their safety?

A. The biggest thing is that we have to follow the CDC guidelines. As irritating as it might be sometimes, it’s 100% about wearing your mask until the end of the day.

Q. Do you prefer full-time over hybrid? Is there anything that you want to change to improve full-time? 

A. I personally prefer full time, and I think that students should be at school full time as long as we can make it happen in a safe manner. That’s not to say that I didn’t like hybrid at all, but I think students do best with their teachers and their peers for the majority of the day. I think there were some good things that really came out from online learning, and I hope teachers are able to pinpoint those things that went out of online and hybrid learning, and really capitalize on those.

Q. What is the hardest aspect of your job that COVID-19 has changed?

A. It’s kind’ve changed the job altogether. Now I kind of feel like I am the mask police.

Jean Sherraden, Counselor Secretary

Q.When did you find out that the school was going back full-time? 

A. We found out on January the 20th.

Q.What are some things you think that students could do to improve their safety? 

A.I think the most important thing that we are finding is that students forget to put their mask literally over their nose.

Q.Do you prefer full-time over hybrid?

A.[I prefer full time because] I think that if we are going to be at school, we need to be back full time. 

Q.What is the hardest aspect of your job that COVID-19 has changed? 

A. I can’t see everyone smiling through their faces, it makes me sad.