Snow Days or No days

What is up with snow days

Hayley Adams, Staff Editor

“I doubt we’ll have school tomorrow, so take your time on the homework,” your math teacher announces. Later that night, you’re watching the Weather Channel, and see the predictions of heavy snow and ice. You go out on a limb and assume that school will be cancelled tomorrow, and stay up late watching Netflix and not doing homework.

You awake to the shocking news; the district didn’t cancel school. Now, you need to walk to school in freezing weather, practically ice skating, just to get to your first hour and realize you didn’t do any homework and now you’re screwed. Why did the district have to do you like this?

Last year, snow days were abundant. It seemed like the district was being oddly generous, but this year, oh how the tables have turned. At the time of writing, the Olathe School District hasn’t had any snow days, despite having a lot of snow and ice.

A large talking point for cancelling school is that students are more at risk of getting into accidents driving to and from school due to ice and snow. Although these hypotheticals may seem unlikely, Sophomore Kaleb Zhu has a firsthand account of what it’s like to get into a car accident whilst driving to school.

“The hood of the car was crushed so that it was folded up, and our car was totaled. The weather definitely contributed as it caused a lot of traffic and caused people to be rushed and not pay attention,” Zhu said.

Zhu continued, stating that the district could make some improvements regarding decisions to either cancel or start school late when there is inclement weather and consider students like him who drive to school.

According to an anonymous survey given to the Chronicle staff, over 50% of students believe we should’ve had a snow day by now. Other responses include, “No, the weather hasn’t been bad enough to cancel school,” and “Probably not, but I still wanted them.”

All of this snow day talk has got students asking, does the district actually care about us and our safety? The staff has some mixed opinions. “Obviously, they do (care about our safety) but I don’t think they always make the right calls. As far as snow days, there are days where they definitely should’ve cancelled to protect us better as students,” an anonymous student said.

Another student added, “The district says they do, but they may have malicious intentions, including homework. They care about our safety because many precautions are in place like annoying drills and rules. However, this may not be the district’s work and instead a state mandate.”

The idea of having to extend the school day like we had to last year has turned many students having mixed emotions about snow days.

Kayla Vander Meer is a sophomore, “We haven’t been having as many snow days this year because the district learned their lesson from last year and don’t want to have to start school 15 minutes early again,” she said.